Hershel Woody Williams VA Medical Center
VA is providing the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccines, as authorized by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Supply varies by facility. Get more information about COVID-19 vaccines at VA.
We are working to vaccinate as many eligible individuals as quickly as possible.
Easier access to vaccines and more people eligible
VA is adding walk-in COVID-19 vaccinations at all VA facilities and outpatient clinics that offer COVID-19 vaccines. Please check hours for vaccination clinics.
Congress has passed a law which allows us to offer COVID-19 vaccines to the following groups who are eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine:
- Spouse of a Veteran
- Caregivers of a Veteran
- Recipients of Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) benefits
If you don't receive care at VA, we encourage you to pre-register online at least one hour before you go, to save time when you arrive. While at VA you will need to wear a face mask, and physical distancing measures will be in place. For more about vaccinations at VA, visit: www.va.gov/covidvaccine.
Note: Your employer, pharmacy, or local public health officials may offer you a COVID-19 vaccine. We encourage you to take the first opportunity you have to get a vaccine at the most convenient location for you.
A local telephone extension has been developed with recorded information that repeats.
(304) 429-6741, extension 4636 (INFO)
COVID-19 Vaccine Variants/Importance of Second Dose
Protecting Veterans, our staff, and those in the community, remains VA’s top priority during the COVID-19 pandemic. As part of that commitment, we are currently following many COVID-19 variants, and we expect to see more variants arise. What is of critical importance is having as many people vaccinated as possible. Time is of the essence! Research tells us that the Delta variant, which has caused many hospitalizations and deaths in India, spreads more easily and quickly than other variants. According to the CDC, there is additional concern that the medical treatments we are using to treat COVID-19 patients may be less effective against this variant. Over the past month, the Delta variant has rapidly spread and expanded in the United States, and we believe it may soon become the dominant virus strain. Research also shows that COVID-19 vaccines offer good protection against the variants we know most about, and widespread vaccination can prevent unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations. We believe that the newer types of vaccines we have now are true “pandemic fighters” and, by design, are well suited to adding new “targets” to fight these variants. Have you gotten your first dose and don’t think you need your second? Consider this: The Delta variant most severely impacts those who are either unvaccinated or only received their first of two-dose vaccine series, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna. If someone is late for their second dose, they should still get it. VA will provide the second doses to employees, Veterans or anyone who qualifies under the Save Lives Act such as spouses and caregivers no matter where they received their first dose, if that is more convenient. If you are undecided about getting the vaccine and need more information to make a decision, check out our Vaccine Questions page, which includes videos, downloadable information and frequently asked question. Time is of the essence.
Hershel “Woody” Williams VAMC will now accept any age Veteran to our COVID-19 walk-in vaccine clinic. The walk-in availability will be along with the already scheduled first and second dose appointments that are already scheduled at the main campus, 1540 Spring Valley Drive, Huntington, Building 1W, 1st Floor, Primary Care, Blue Team, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
(PLEASE SEE BELOW CONCERNING THE SAVE LIVES ACT)
COVID Vaccine Expansion - SAVE LIVES ACT
- Hershel “Woody” Williams VAMC is now accepting the individuals covered under the Save Lives Act at a specific location and times below.
Main campus, 1540 Spring Valley Drive, Huntington, Building 1W, 1st Floor, Primary Care, Blue Team, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Under the Save Lives Act, covered individuals are:
• All categories of Veterans regardless of Character of Discharge, TO INCLUDE: Never activated National Guard, Reserve and Coast Guard who are retired
• Survivors and Dependents of Certain Veterans under the CHAMPVA Program as defined in 38 U.S.C. 1781.
• Family Caregivers of Veterans participating in the VA’s Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers under 38 U.S.C. 1720G(a).
• Caregivers of Veterans participating in VA’s Program of General Caregiver Support Services under 38 U.S.C. 1720G(b).
• Caregivers of Veterans participating in the Medical Foster Home Program, Bowel and Bladder Program, Home Based Primary Care Program, or Veteran Directed Care Program of the VA.
• Veteran's spouse. UPDATE: For COVID-19 vaccine eligibility, we define a spouse to include marriage, same-sex and common-law marriages. This includes a widow or widower of a Veteran. If you characterize your relationship as spousal, you can receive the vaccine.
For questions about qualifying for this care: 1-800-827-8244 (or 1-304-429-6741) extension 7444 (or option 4). (otherwise eligibility will be determined at location)
AVAILABLE LOCATION AND TIMES: HWW VAMC MAIN CAMPUS - This WALK-IN availability will be along with the already scheduled first and second dose appointments at the main campus, 1540 Spring Valley Drive, Huntington, Building 1W, 1st Floor, Primary Care, Blue Team, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Individuals walking in to receive vaccine under the Save Lives Act will be screened and asked to complete a Save Lives Act vaccination worksheet which will be used for charting purposes.
• HWW VAMC will be monitoring the quantity of vaccine during this time.
• During heavy walk-in participation, HWW VAMC might provide participants with an estimated wait time or if overwhelmed, a return time.
• Moderna 2nd doses are scheduled when receiving 1st dose
- Hershel Woody Williams VA Medical Center
- 304-429-6741 Ext. 4636
Hours of Operation
By Appointment Only